We collect and present expert multi-disciplinary and accessible resources for all those dealing with callosal disorders. Because a firm diagnosis of callosal disorders has only been possible since the advent of the MRI, this range of conditions is only beginning to be understood. In fact, promoting accurate diagnosis is a considerable part of our agenda. The confusion surrounding misdiagnosis can be agony for parents and potentially cruel to children, just as the expectations raised by wrongly prescribed therapies and treatments lead ultimately to frustration and failure. Preventing this misdirection and providing accurate information and effective solutions are high priorities for the NODCC. We also work in collaboration with several neuropsychological research programs to advance knowledge and understanding of callosal disorders. For information and support purposes, the NODCC develops written materials and videos, and sponsors conferences for families and professionals.
Our mission is “to enhance the quality of life and promote opportunities for individuals with disorders of the corpus callosum and raise the profile, understanding and acceptance of these disorders through research, education, advocacy and networking.”
- Be the leading organization for gathering and disseminating information regarding disorders of the corpus callosum.
- Focus on the cognitive, behavioral, developmental, educational, psychological, neurological, medical, and genetic issues relating to disorders of the corpus callosum.
- Increase access to neuroimaging and accurate neurological diagnoses for all individuals, with a special sensitivity to underserved populations, for the purpose of expanding opportunities for early intervention.
- Maintain and encourage high levels of professional ethics and scientific responsibility in management and dissemination of this information, and refute faulty or inaccurate understandings of these conditions.
- Collaborate and develop partnerships with related organizations.
- Facilitate the acquisition and interpretation of scientific and medical knowledge about disorders of the corpus callosum, in order to advance medical, legal and societal acknowledgment of these disorders.
- Encourage clarification of the behavioral syndromes resulting from disorders of the corpus callosum and development of appropriate and timely intervention strategies.
- Disseminate information regarding disorders of the corpus callosum to individuals with these disorders, their family members, and professional audiences.
- Explore legislative and policy solutions that improve the lives of individuals with disorder of the corpus callosum and enhance the work of those who support them.
- Mobilize constituencies to assist individuals with disorders of the corpus callosum in the pursuit of their rights and services.
- Facilitate information and resource sharing among individuals and families dealing with disorders of the corpus callosum.
Our Core Values and Guiding Principles
The NODCC is committed to uphold the following guiding principles in pursuit of our mission:
- Respect for persons
- Respect for families and communities of care
- Diversity in board, staff, volunteers, and membership
- Professional competence & integrity
- Development of community through networking opportunities
- Continuous improvement, learning, and refinement
- Membership participation & teamwork
- Compassion for the misunderstood
Back to top